Corporate Health

paul roberts - one to onepaul roberts - small groupspaul roberts - pt campspaul roberts - team performancepaul roberts - corporate health


Paul was lecturing for the University of Surrey between 2003 and 2007, in this time Paul has developed a motivating presenting style that will keep you engaged and able to absorb the key information that is provided during workshops, training sessions and camps.

Create health to create wealth in the workplace?

With credit crunches and global economic downturn, what better time is there to address the important issue of employee and employer health?!? Since the 1980’s employers and academics have been looking at the impact of an employee’s health (good or poor) on their performance at work and thus productivity. So how is that an employee’s work limitations are measured? And how is this information used to increase employee/ corporate health and productivity? Many companies use health risk appraisals such as the world health organisations work and health performance questionnaire in order to determine the health risk factors that can or do affect the employees’ productivity. Reasons for this are that if we are not feeling 100% we are not likely to be functioning at 100%. Think back to a time that you went into work feeling a little less energetic or worried about a child or spouse who was sick at the time; did you work as hard as you normally did?

Loss of productivity can be classified as a) presenteeism - not focused on the job because of a health factor or b) absenteeism - absence from work due to a legitimate reason. Of the two, studies show that presenteeism can account for 84% of productivity costs and absenteeism account for the remaining 16%. Additionally, presenteeism is more highly associated with differing health risk factors such as obesity (based on BMI), physical activity levels, and mental health issues such as depression or stress plus cardiovascular conditions such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol. In general, studies have found that for every health risk an employee has, they present with a 1.9% decrease of productivity.

Several large companies provide employees with health education and behavioral programs and also on the job physical activity/exercise programs as part of interventions to decrease loss of productivity from increased health risks. These programs are backed by solid scientific evidence showing that employees classified as low risk or those who decrease their risk classification show increases in productivity of 2.0% per risk modified. By taking this information on board companies can not only improve employee health, but also workforce productivity and therefore boost their bottom line. Methods of increasing worker health include:
  • Health promotion and health education programs
  • Exercise/ physical activity programs
  • Behavioral adaptation/modification programs

Exercise/physical activity programs have been shown to have great benefit on many aspects of health including in the areas of stress and psychosocial issues such as depression.

All companies should be taking head of health at work and be considering the value proposition that scientific study has proven. Why not mention it to your employer, if they start health program at work you will be thanking them for the opportunity and they will be thanking you for the results!

Staff Workshops. Paul is happy to design bespoke workshops that are suitable for the group attending. Small Group Training. Training with a group (2 to 6 people) can provide a variety of workout sessions, and general educational advice in areas such as nutrition. The group sessions enable you to meet new friends and develop fulfilling relationships and watching the health and fitness progress of others is inspiring for you to keep exercising toward achieving your own goals.

PT Camps. Training for larger groups (up to 16) can be a great way to affect the health of your whole staff. Do you have a meeting room that is regularly unused at lunchtimes and after work, or an open space close to the office? Paul can provide invigorating, challenging workouts suitable for all levels of fitness.